Sunday, January 07, 2007

Retired Sportswriter Mistakes, Espisode 2

Ron Maly complains that Wells Fargo doesn't need a hotel next door. Wrong.

The sole reason why Wells has been passed over for NCAA wrestling and basketball events is because, well, it doesn't have a hotel next door.

One of the prime selling points of the joint was that it would bring in NCAA wrestling and basketball events. If that's going to happen, more building must go on.

I love the "Who wants to get mugged or their purse snatched walking to a downtown hotel line". Dang, I didn't know downtown DSM was so violent. Alert the Gannet News Outlet. He says folks would rather drive to Big Box Land in West Des Moines to spend the night, after eating at an overpriced chain restaurant I suppose.

I probably shouldn't tell Ron that I took a bus to a Blackhawks game (yes, public transportation), and walked six blocks to a show while staying in a downtown hotel in Chicago.

Somehow, I didn't get mugged. My wife doesn't carry a purse, for the record.

Judging by the crowds I saw in Chicago and at other cities with downtown arenas, I think people would like the option of staying next to the Well. Since the NCAA pretty much requires it, it's going to happen.

Peterclone

No comments: